363 动词 + 介词/副词的组合
account
account for(tr)(为某事)给出充分的理由,圆满地解释(某种行为或某项支出),做出交代:
A treasurer must account for the money he spends.
财务负责人必须对他支付的款项做出交代。
He has behavd in the most extraordinary way;I can't account for his actions at all/I can't account for his behaving like that.
他的行为极为奇怪,我完全无法解释他的行动/我无法为他那样的举动做出解释。
allow
allow for(tr)预先为某事留有余地,考虑到(常指某种额外的需要、支出、耽搁等):
—It is 800 kilometres and I drive at 100 k.p.h.,so I'll be there in eighthours.
—But you'll have to allow for delays going through towns and for stops for refuelling.
—距离是800公里,而我的车速是每小时100公里,因此我八小时后可以到那里。
—可是你得把通过市镇和停车加油所耽搁的时间考虑进去。
Allowing for depreciation your car should be worth £2,000 this time next year.
如果考虑到折旧,你的车明年此时应当值2,000英镑。
answer
answer back(intr),answer somebody back反驳别人的责难,回嘴顶撞:
Father:Why were you so late last night? You weren't in till2 a.m.
父亲:你昨晚回家为什么这么晚?你直到凌晨两点钟才回来。
Son:You should have been asleep.
儿子:那时候你本该睡着了。
Father:Don't answer me back.Answer my question.
父亲:别跟我顶嘴。回答我的问题。
ask
ask after/for somebody 探询有关……的信息,(向第三者)问某人健康如何:
I met Tom at the party;he asked after you.
我在聚会上遇见了汤姆;他问你好。(问你健康如何/问你过得怎么样)
ask for
(a)寻找某人并想和他/她说话,要求见到某人:
Go to the office and ask for my secretary.
到办公室去,找我的秘书。
(b)要求,索要:
The men asked for more pay and shorter hours.
工人们要求增加工资,减少工时。
ask someone in(宾语在in之前)请某人进来:
He didn't ask me in;he kept me standing at the door while he read the message.
他没有让我进去;他径自看那张条子,让我站在门口等着。
ask someone out(宾语在out之前)请某人出去参加娱乐活动或吃饭(特别是在公众地方吃饭):
She had a lot of friends and was usually asked out in the evenings,so she seldom spent an evening at home.
她有很多朋友,晚上常被邀请外出,因此她晚上很少在家里呆着。
|