die
die away(intr)(声音)逐渐微弱直到听不到:
They waited till the sound of the guard's footsteps died away.
他们一直等到警卫的脚步声消逝了。
die down(intr)逐渐平静下来,直至平息(常指骚乱、火、心情的一阵波动等):
When the excitement had died down the shopkeepers took down their shutters and reopened their shops.
波动平息后,店主们取下了窗板,重新开店营业。
die out(intr)绝灭,成为过去(常指风俗、种族、动物品种等):
Elephants would die out if men could shoot as many as they wished.
如果人们爱猎杀多少大象就可以猎杀多少,大象就会灭种了。
do
do away with(tr)废除:
The government should do away with the regulations restricting drinking hours.
政府应该废除限制卖酒的时间的规章。
do up(tr)重新装饰:
When I do this room up I'll paint the walls cream.(do up this room/doit up)
我重新装修房间时,要把墙漆成奶油色。
do without(tr)不要……而凑合过,免去……也可以:
We had to do without petrol during the fuel crisis.
在燃料危机期间,我们不得不过没有汽油的日子。
有时宾语可以意会,不说出来:
If there isn't any milk we'll have to do without(it).
如果没有牛奶,我们只好将就了。
draw
draw back(intr)撤退,(因惊惧而)向后闪:
It's too late to draw back now;the plans are all made.
现在再后退也太晚了;计划都订好了。
draw up(tr)草拟,写出(计划或协议书):
My solicitor drew up the lease and we both signed it.(drew it up)
我的律师拟好了租约,我们两个人都签了名。
draw up(intr)停下(指车辆等):
The car drew up at the kerb and the driver got out.
车在马路边停下,开车人下了车。
drop
drop in(intr)未经通知而造访并停留较短的时间:
He dropped in for a few minutes to ask if he could borrow your powerdrill.
他不告而来,坐了几分钟,问是否能借用你的电钻。(比call in更口语化些。)
drop out(intr)退出(某计划或行动):
We planned to hire a coach for the excursion but now so many people have dropped out that it will not be needed.
我们原计划租一辆大客车去郊游,但是现在已有这么多人退出,车就不需要了。
|